Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Why I Read



In the past, I haven't really been into reading that much. It wasn't a hobby of mine at all. I found it very tedious and time consuming and kept asking myself, "What's the point?" But I have always loved to write. Write short stories, poetry or whatever. A lot of people will tell me that it's weird I don't like reading when on the other hand I love to write. 
The more I write and the more I enjoy writing the more I read, and the more I enjoy it. Reading anything can give me an idea or an inspiration for a new story, poem or can help me when I'm in the middle of a story and get Writer's Block, which happens a lot. I read because I like telling stories and I like being immersed into a good story. I can't stand boring stories. They're the worst. And that's why I don't read sometimes. There are some books, some classics and some hardly heard of's, that have the most boring stories, in my opinion. To Kill A Mockingbird, for example, is one of the most boring books I have ever read and I hated it. It is one of the most loved pieces of literature ever written but I hate it. It is because of novels like To Kill A Mockingbird, that I do not read. So many novels are forced upon us in school and so many are un-enjoyable stories. Thus, students develop a hatred for reading. 
I read because I get to choose what I read and when I read it. But when books are forced upon me, I generally do not read.

1 comment:

  1. Good insights about how reading inspires writing. I'm sad that TKAM makes people hate reading!

    ReplyDelete