Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover...Especially if There Isn't One

I hate boring book covers. They don’t tell me anything! Especially the book covers that are very generic and look very old fashioned. Those turn me away from the book immediately. The Harry Potter covers are extremely creative. They make me want to read the book. But The Sense of An Ending by Julian Barnes has an awful cover, depending on which one you look at. The cover with a gray background and an egg doesn’t interest me at all. The one with the dandelions might have interested me. If it weren’t for my English teacher, I would have never read this book, based off of its boring and generic cover. A book that targets middle school kids or 5th or 6th grade kids that has an uninteresting cover would be Loser by Jerry Spinelli. This is the age where kids start to judge books before they read them. And a solid green cover with the word ”loser” at the top, won’t appeal to that age group, if anything it will just hurt their feelings. The Hunger Games. To this day I have not read the book. Seen the movie, not read the book. But when people first started telling me that I had to read it, I wouldn’t. I didn’t have any clue at all what it was about. I kid you not, for so long I thought that this book was a heartwarming story about overcoming obesity. I swear! Cause the cover doesn’t offer much. A solid black cover with a circley-arrow thingy in the corner. It’s exactly like the egg on The Sense of an Ending cover. It offers nothing about the story. And I hate those kinds of covers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment