Thursday, January 24, 2013

Genre Labels


Genre labels are very necessary. It’s the same thing with all these book covers and what is so important about them. If we didn’t have book cover or genre labels we wouldn’t know what we are reading. I’m not going to want to read something if it’s just a blank cover and I don’t know what kind of book it is. There’s no advertising at all.
It’d be like if you saw a commercial or preview for a movie. If it just showed you the movie title and showed a picture or scene of a character and then just said “go see this movie” then you aren’t going to have any interest in it whatsoever. You don’t know if it’s a comedy, horror, action, chick flick or whatever.
I don’t find it distracting. I mean there are labels, like non-fiction, that will turn me away from books. But that’s because I don’t like non-fiction. The genre labels help us to define what we like and dislike and what we want to read and don’t want to read. I’m sure there are people out there who see non-fiction and want to go read that book.
Book covers and genre labels are very similar things. They mean different things to different people and attract different audiences. Without them we’d be lost and all our interest would be based off of nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment